Hub Coach, Ambulant Para Events
Job classification: Full time, indeterminate
Reports to: Hub Lead (East) – line management; Para Performance Lead – technical management
Location: Athletics Canada’s East Hub – Toronto
The primary purpose of this role is to coach ambulant Para athletes to achieve Athletics Canada’s (AC’s) long term aims of Paralympic and World Championships medals and top eight finishes, and to prepare these athletes to achieve season’s bests, personal bests and to beat their pre-event ranking at these major benchmark events.
Duties & responsibilities:
- To provide personal coaching to assigned athletes, the majority of whom are expected to be Para athletes in the ambulant events on the Paralympic program (specifically the sprints, jumps and throws) towards top eight and medal performances at major benchmark events
- To provide Individual Training Plans, Competition Plans and weekly updates as required for assigned athletes
- To work closely with the athlete’s assigned Athlete Performance Advisor (APA) in order to improve the athlete’s performance potential at benchmark events
- To assist in the planning and delivery of AC identified camps, competitions and conferences as required
- To act as a Head Coach, Team Coach, Team Manager or personal coach at AC identified competitions and championships as required
- To contribute to, or present at, AC identified coach professional development sessions, planning sessions and debriefing activities
- To form working relationships with other coaches and athletes across Canada – sharing advice and expertise with the aim of raising the standard of power for athletes nationally
- To provide expert advice on Canadian power athlete specific issues as required
- To assist in the development of integrated (able-bodied and Para) programs that recognizes the varying needs of the different events groups, different athletes and different coaches
- To assist in the development of selection policies based on objective and subjective criteria
- To act as a selector, or provide relevant information to selectors, as and when required
- To act as an exemplar of AC’s HP Culture and Behaviours
- Experience in coaching ambulant Para athletes at all levels up to Paralympic and World Championships success
- Experience in Team Coaching and Personal Coaching at benchmark events and other national camps, conferences and competitions
- Five or more years of progressive coaching experience in track and field
- Knowledge of the international sporting systems in athletics
- Extensive experience in coaching at the International level and a Level Four NCCP or equivalent
This position requires working outside regular hours. There will be weekend work and both domestic and international travel.
Kindly submit your resume and cover letter, indicating your salary expectations to email@example.com no later than Friday, Aug. 17, 2018.
Director of Run Jump Throw Wheel & Intro Programs (Athletics New Brunswick)
Athletics New Brunswick is seeking an energetic leader who will work in partnership with staff and volunteers to expand and enhance their Introductory & Fundamentals programs in Athletics (track & field) in the Province of New Brunswick. The ideal candidate is committed to working on a day-to-day basis with athletics clubs, schools and community organizations. The goal will be to involve and engage young people ages 6+ in physical activity and particularly the sport of track and field through the Run, Jump, Throw, Wheel program and other introductory programs. This is a full-time position that, provided all criteria and standards are met, can evolve into a three-year contract including renewals.
The person will be based in Saint John, N.B., and expected to contribute to expanding participation in our sport within the province of New Brunswick to achieve involvement of over 15,000 youth annually. Evening and weekend work is expected as well as some provincial travel. This position reports to the Executive Director of Athletics NB.
Key roles and responsibilities of the position include:
- Director of Run Jump Throw Wheel & Intro to Athletics Programs
- Responsible for delivery of training for instructors, direct program delivery and building community relationships around the province in order to expand the RJTW programs and similar grass roots programming
- Organize and plan the growth and expansion of the RJTW Series competitions for ages 12 and under in New Brunswick
- Assist with the support and expansion of road running and youth road racing events in conjunction with Run NB
- Assist with and support all ANB programming aimed at expanding youth participation in athletics for New Brunswick
This position is financially supported by Athletics Canada, Province of New Brunswick, Athletics NB and the Saint John Track Club.
Education considered to be an asset to this position:
- University & Community College Education
Post-secondary focus in Education, Recreation and/or Kinesiology
- Professional Development/Coach Education or experience in youth/para sports programs through leadership/coaching in athletics or other sports
- Competence in both official languages is required
- Knowledge of Long Term Athlete Development and the Canadian Sport for Life framework
Experience that will be considered valuable:
- A proven interest and track record of working with children in education or sport
- Has filled coaching positions on provincial or national teams
- Demonstrated leadership experience at the community, club and/or high school level
- Experience with either track & field and/or Para athletes would be valuable
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Strong computer skills and a proven ability to work independently
Please send your resume and cover letter to Gabriel LeBlanc via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary will commensurate with education and experience. Deadline for application is Aug. 10, 2018.
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Saskatchewan Athletics)
Saskatchewan Athletics is a non-profit Provincial Sport Governing Body. Saskatchewan Athletics promotes the sport of Track and Field, Cross Country Running, Road Racing and Race Walk. The Program Coordinator has the overall responsibility for co-ordinating training programs for coaches, facilitating effective indoor and outdoor competitions for athletes at all levels and developing programs that promote excellence in the sport. This position reports to the Executive Director of Saskatchewan Athletics.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Specific knowledge of track and field including an understanding of the sport’s delivery system from the club and school systems to the National and International arena
- Leadership and organizational skills
- Supervision experience would be an asset
- High energy and outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and to promote teamwork, collaboration and partnership
- Superior skills in listening, written and verbal communication
- Knowledge of grant writing and financial reporting
- Willingness to travel (Valid Driver’s Licence)
- NCCP Coaching certification in Athletics (Track & Field)
- Achieve NCCP RJT Certification or be prepared to be trained
- Relevant educational qualifications
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Google)
- Knowledge of social media
This position offers a comprehensive benefit package with a salary range of $35,000 to $55,000. Interest applicants should submit a letter of application, a detailed resume and salary expectations by Aug. 20, 2018, to:
2020 College Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 2W4
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.