Canada’s Olympic and Paralympic stars descend on Ottawa July 3-9 for the 2017 Canadian Track & Field Championships. The Championships will take place at Terry Fox Athletic Facility as part of Canada’s 150th celebrations.
What: Five Rio Olympians/Paralympians, including Olympic gold medallist Derek Drouin and Olympic bronze medallist Damian Warner, will help preview the 2017 Canadian Track & Field Championships, where they will compete to earn their place on the National Team for the 2017 IAAF World Championships in London, England.
The formal press conference, emceed by CTV Ottawa’s Terry Marcotte, will be followed by a photo opportunity featuring the athletes and special guests. The athletes, as well as Athletics Canada’s Lead Coach Glenroy Gilbert, will then be available for one-on-ones.
When: Wednesday, July 5, at 10:30 a.m.
Where: Delta Ottawa City Centre, International Ball Room (101 Lyon Street, Ottawa, Ont., K1R 5T9)
- Derek Drouin – Olympic gold medallist and World Champion, high jump
- Geneviève Lalonde – Olympian and Canadian record holder, 3,000 metre steeplechase
- Lanni Marchant – Olympian and Canadian record holder, marathon and half-marathon
- Damian Warner – Olympic bronze and World silver medallist, decathlon
- Marissa Papaconstantinou – Paralympian and Canadian record holder, T44 100 metres and 200 metres
- Jim Watson, Mayor of the City of Ottawa
- Yasir Naqvi, MPP for Ottawa Centre, on behalf of Eleanor McMahon, Minister of Tourism Culture and Sport
- Rob Guy, Athletics Canada Chief Executive Officer
- Glenroy Gilbert, Athletics Canada Lead Coach
- A group of local children and youth who are currently enrolled in the Ottawa Lions Track & Field programs
For more information, including the schedule of events and Championships records, please visitwww.athletics.ca/ottawa2017 or connect with us on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
Members of the media looking to cover the Championships July 3-9 at Terry Fox Athletic Facility are asked to fill-out the media accreditation request form located on the Championships webpage.
For more information, please contact:
Office: (613) 260-5580 ext. 3307
Cell: (613) 299-1517 (C)
Office: (613) 260-5580 x3340
Cell: (514) 549-8165