We understand the importance of introducing and keeping youth involved in athletics. As a result, the Athletics Canada Foundation is extremely pleased to announce funding for two $5,000 scholarships for 2017 graduating high school student athletes annually; one male and one female. School Sport Canada and its member associations are fully in support of this initiative.
The purpose of the scholarship aligns with Athletics Canada Foundations three pillars:
- Getting youth involved in athletics
- Keeping youth involved in athletics
- Promoting excellence and allowing youth to be the best they can be
With that in mind, Athletics Canada and School Sport Canada invite application forms from student athletes who:
- Have a passion for athletics / cross country and wish to continue in the sport into post-secondary
- Will study in Canada
- Are multisport high school athletes (mandatory requirement)
- Are graduating high school in June 2017
- Can elaborate on their athletic plans in post-secondary, and why they should be chosen for this scholarship
- graduating Grade 12 students (Grade 11 in Quebec)
- planning on entering a post-secondary institution in Canada and competing on that institution’s cross country and/or track and field team.
- have been multi-sport athletes in their high school (being on the cross country and track teams is sufficient, but priority will go to students who have also participated in other sports for their school).
- Students will need to provide a 250-500 (max) essay. In the essay, students will be asked to “tell their story.” i.e. why should the committee choose them and what $5,000 will mean to them in real terms. (We are looking for more than “I will put it towards my tuition.”)
- Indicate how they currently “give back” to their community and what plans they have to continue in athletics / cross country after high school (100 words max.)
Applications will be submitted to the School Sport Canada provincial/territorial representatives via the form at the bottom of this page. A provincial/territorial selection committee will nominate the top male and top female candidates from their province/territory from the applications received, and those applications will be sent to Athletics Canada.
A National Selection Committee will review the 26 (13 male, 13 female) nominations from the provinces/territories to select one male and one female student athlete to receive the scholarships.
April 10, 2017 – Application process begins
April 28, 2017 – Deadline for Application Forms to be submitted to Provincial/Territorial Contacts
May 12, 2017 – Provincial/Territorial nominations to be submitted to National Selection Committee (one male, and one female from 10 provinces and 3 territories)
May 26, 2017 – National Selection Committee selects (2) student athletes for the $5000 Athletics Canada Scholarship.
May 30, 2017 – Scholarship winners will be contacted.
Provincial/Territorial Track & Field Championships – Scholarship Presentations will be made during the respective provincial/territorial Track and Field Championship.